Saginaw Texas. Founded in 1833, Jarvis J. Green hoped to name his small plot of land “Pontiac”, after his hometown in Michigan. Rejected by the postal service, he finally decided on another Michigan town – “Saginaw”.
In the later half of the 1800’s, Saginaw was forever changed when the railroad decided to make Saginaw the last stop on their south-bound routes to Fort Worth. Saginaw prospered as the transportation dependent industry, such as grain storage and milling facilities, moved in to be near the railroad. Saginaw remains home to the largest grain storage facility in the world! Burrus Mills, now Cargill, Inc., was the launching pad for the western swing band “The Lightcrust Dough Boys”. The railroad continues to engage in active operations with piggyback switching, freight services, railcar repair facilities and more. The grain mills operate 24/7.